Friday, January 23, 2009

Mary treasured up all these things....


The above title is a portion of the passage of Luke 2:19:
"But Mary treasured up all these thing, pondering them in her heart." (ESV)
A few Sundays ago our pastor referred to this passage in conjunction with the passage from Luke1:66:
"and all who heard them laid them up in their hearts saying "What then will this child be?" For the hand of the Lord was with him." (ESV)   This passage is in reference to the birth of John the Baptist.


    Both of the passages struck me.  From the time my children were born I have tried to store up my memories of them and treasure my time with them.  During my time in Ukraine and when we were home for 3 weeks, the task seemed to be even more important.  I want to treasure every moment with my children..... both at home and here.  My heart is full of things to ponder.  God has been so benevolent to me.  I am so thankful for his blessings in these, His children.  Our time with Karina has been so sweet and dear.  I have loved just watching her.  She has had so many "firsts" in just the last 2 days.  She has handled them so well.  She is truly entering a new world....even here in her own country.  She now has to make many decisions that before were made for her.  She is rising to the challenge.  I am inspired just to watch her as she navigates through many new tasks.  We went shopping yesterday,(see the above new outfit for the product of our labors) and it was so much fun.   Not many moms can say that about their teenage daughters.  She was so thankful and thoughtful during the whole experience.   I want to treasure all these experiences.  I want to remember the goodness of God in all of these blessings.  Even the little things like shopping with my daughter.  I so often forget.  I am like the Isrealites..... I need stones of  remembrance.      I love the second verse of  "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing":
    "Here I raise my Ebenezer hither by Thy help I've come, and I hope by Thy good pleasure safely to arrive at home, Jesus sought me when a stranger wandering from the fold of God, he to rescue me from danger interposed His precious blood."(Trinity Hymnal)
   I need a pile of stones to constantly remind me of God's mercy and blessing!!!  I do not want to forget one of His blessings from this journey to adopt Karina.  If you wonder what I am doing while I am here..... I am piling up stones and pondering them.


     Please continue to pray for us as we spend time with our daughter.  We love her and we so enjoy this time with her.  May God bless this time that we have with her .  Thank you all so much for your prayers already.
Sheila
 

7 comments:

  1. Privet Karina! Ya tolcka chto zaconchila shkolu. Sevodnya patnitsa. Ya u moey babushki. Spasibo za pesmo. Ti znaesh chto ti ne budesh xodite v shkolu, ti budesh ostavatsa v tvoem dome, u ti budesh zanematsa v tvoem dome. uchitelnixa predet zanimatsa s toboy. Tebe ne nanvitsa opernuy teatr? Mne on towe ne nravitsa!!!! Ya teper znau pochemu ti otkaza Denisu. Ti ochen umnaya. Ya dawe ne podumala ab etom.
    Lublu,
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of the most spiritual things about adoption. You get to watch a precious child emerge from her cocoon to become a beautiful butterfly. The process is in itself, not without pain, but it is indeed beautiful to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for Karina that she is getting adopted, i cannot wait until i see her and talk to her. Karina is a sweetheart and she is a pretty girl and you will be lucky to have her. you both look so cute together. that horse is cute too!!!!
    Kristina Landrum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy this precious sweet time that you get to have together!
    Leslie G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I read your blog and studied the pictures, I was in awe of the resemblence to the rest of the family. Our God is so awesome in His orchestration of His will. Thank you for your authenticity and vulnerability. It has encouraged and uplifted us. We cannot wait until we are where you are. May God Bless your remaining time in the Ukraine and your trip home. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is fun to have these firsts. You gave a nice party for the kids yesterday, good job! Sergey kept asking me, how long for me? Just a couple more weeks. But I wonder about Karina and Sergey's classmates... How long for them? God only knows, but I love them dearly and I pray for them often and I hope they get families soon. Their time is running out. Blessings on your remaining time in Ukraine and I hope that there are no unexpected delays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheila, I am so glad you poured out your heart about you and Karina. That was just beautiful! Wonderful Scripture and hymn! As Matthew said, there are just no words. I know you will treasure these blessed times forever. Love to you all, Dorothy

    ReplyDelete